OceanDive Technical Support
We appreciate that you first consult the Frequently Asked Questions below before contacting us for help at our technical support e-mail
Table of Contents
- Will OceanDive run on my computer?
- What do I get when I purchase OceanDive?
- How do I purchase your screen saver?
- Is the credit card purchase safe?
- Will I lose OceanDive when I re-install Windows or buy an all new computer?
- I lost the e-mail with my activation code, and now I have to re-install my computer. Can you send me the code again?
- How can I tell if my graphics accelerator drivers are up to date? How do I find out what 3D card is installed in my computer?
- I think I need to upgrade my graphics accelerator drivers, where can I find driver updates?
- I have changed the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings in Windows XP, and now the screensaver does not start.
- The screen is too dark, I cannot see all the neat stuff clearly!
- I cannot move! I just purchased OceanDive, but when I try to use the mouse or the arrow keys, the program immediately closes! What am I missing?
- The program is running very slowly, how do I speed it up?
- I get a message saying: We are sorry, but the operating system failed to provide the window to render game graphics in. OceanDive immediately crashes with a Prism3D error.
- I tried to put OceanDive on my computer but had to abort the installation. Now I get an annoying pop-up message box saying: Corrupted installation. Please re-install the application or consult the support section of our website. Error was (Failed to read keys from registry). How do I get rid of the error?
- When I exit the screensaver, some of my other programs are also closed! Sometimes, I even get Windows shut down dialog!
- I am not able to find out all the secret locations, but I want to see all that OceanDive has to offer. Can I unlock all the hidden scenes any other way?
- How can I set up the screensaver to run on dual monitor system?
- How do I password protect the screensaver so that a login screen is displayed after exiting OceanDive?
- I am a writer for magazine XYZ, and I would like to write a review of OceanDive. Are there evaluation copies available?
- How do I request a refund?
- I am trying to purchase OceanDive, but it fails for some reason. What should I do?
OceanDive Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will OceanDive run on my computer?
Try it! The answer depends on a variety of factors, including CPU speed, amount of memory, and most importantly the type of your 3D graphics accelerator. Having up to date video card drivers should never be underestimated, see below.
For the best experience, we recommend using Microsoft Windows 98, ME, 2000, or XP, CPU 1.0+ GHz, 64 MB video card with up to date drivers, and having DirectX 9 installed. But your mileage may vary, OceanDive should run fine even on lower configurations, so your best bet is to give it a try - download OceanDive and see for yourself. You can keep the trial version as long as you like - it does not expire - and it's FREE!
2. What do I get when I purchase OceanDive?
The list of unlocked features is on the Buy page of this website. Most importantly, you will enable the exploration game mode where you can search for secret spots to open additional screensaver scenes. In the trial version, there are just 9 scenes accessible in OceanDive. After activation, a handful additional scenes are unlocked immediately. However, you can now go for an ocean dive, swim around freely around the underwater realm in the exploration mode, and find and unlock even more scenes - up to a total count of 30 scenes. Have fun!
3. How do I purchase your screen saver?
Simply press the key B while OceanDive is running. OceanDive will connect to the Internet to reach the transaction server, as illustrated on the Buy page on this site. Activation is transacted on the secure FastSpring site. Note that you need to be connected to the Internet during the purchase procedure, but OceanDive requires no Internet connection at other times.
IMPORTANT: Personal firewall software may block OceanDive's access to the Internet. Please ensure OceanDive is allowed Internet access through the firewall. We do not recommend turning off your firewall, not even for a few seconds, as you would put your computer at risk unnecessarily. Instead, specifically allow OceanDive to access the Internet, via your firewall controls or settings.
After purchasing OceanDive, the application will immediately be automatically converted from trial mode into full version (activated). You should also receive a confirmation e-mail after a few minutes, with the details of the transaction, and a special activation code (see question #05).
Make sure to double-check your e-mail address when filling in the purchase form, so that the e-mail is properly sent to you! Also, verify that your spam filtering software does not block the e-mail.
4. Is the credit card purchase safe?
The credit card transaction is absolutely safe.
First of all, SCS Software, the creators of OceanDive, is a trustworthy company. We have been in the business since 1997. Every year, we are selling hundreds of thousands of PC games in the 18 Wheels of Steel truck simulator series and Hunting Unlimited series games in major retail stores like Wal-Mart or Best Buy. We are offering additional small games and screensavers solely in online distribution, including our 3D game Deer Drive and TruckSaver 3D truck screensaver. We would be very concerned if we were to risk our reputation with insecure credit card purchase system.
You can find out more about us and our products on our company website: www.scssoft.com
The credit card transaction is executed on a strongly encrypted connection. With several thousand of our screensavers already sold, we haven't had a single complaint of credit card fraud.
5. Will I lose OceanDive when I re-install Windows or buy an all new computer?
There is no danger that you would lose OceanDive, whether you had to re-install your computer, or buy a brand new one. You can always back-up (or re-download) the OceanDive installer, install OceanDive again, and enter the activation code again to unlock the full version of OceanDive for free.
See also question #06 below - even if you lose the code that you will receive inside your purchase confirmation e-mail, the code can be retrieved using this method.
Once you re-install OceanDive, simply press the B key as if you wanted to buy OceanDive, but instead of entering your credit card details just click the link Already paid? A browser window will pop up and you will be guided through the procedure of entering the activation code. OceanDive will be switched to full version again, for free.
6. I lost the e-mail with my activation code, and now I have to re-install my computer. Can you send me the code again?
PURCHASED THROUGH FASTSPRING:
Mail us at providing the e-mail address you used when purchasing OceanDive and we will re-send the activation code to you.
PURCHASED THROUGH TRYMEDIA:
Please request the activation code to be re-sent to you on this support form. The system is fully automated, just enter the e-mail address you used when purchasing OceanDive, and a new code will be sent to you immediately.
When you install OceanDive again, run it, and press the B key as if you wanted to buy it. Instead of entering your credit card details just click the link Already paid? A browser window will appear and you will be guided through the procedure of entering the activation code to switch the screensaver to full version again, for free.
7. How can I tell if my graphics accelerator drivers are up to date? How do I find out what 3D card is installed in my computer?
There is a utility on all Windows machines that is called DXDiag (for DirectX Diagnostics) which reports all kinds of technical details about the computer. It can be launched simply by clicking on the Start button in Windows, selecting the Run option, and typing dxdiag (without apostrophes) into the window that will appear. The DirectX Diagnostics utility will show up, scan your computer in a few seconds, and you will be able to see all kinds of information organized on several tabs. You will find the information about your 3D card summarized on the Display tab.
Note: When you want to get in touch with our technical support, it may be desirable to send a copy of the dxdiag output along with your tech request. Just click the Save All Information button, and store the output in a text file which may be attached to an e-mail. There is no need to fear that you would be sending any private information with this report, it's only technical data about your computer. You can verify this easily - just open the file in any plain text editor like Windows Notepad.
8. I think I need to upgrade my graphics accelerator drivers, where can I find driver updates?
When you encounter any graphics issues, as a general rule of thumb it is always a good idea to try to update your graphics accelerator drivers. If your graphics drivers are more than several months old (as reported by the DXdiag output explained in the question above), you may be missing out on important updates and fixes. Graphics accelerator companies frequently update the drivers with bug fixes and performance enhancements, so all of your applications should benefit from the upgrade.
- ATI calls the drivers for their graphics cards "Catalyst."
- Download the ATI drivers here
- Pick your operating system in first step, select your 3D card type in second step, and finally click the link to download latest Catalyst driver.
NVidia - GeForce series cards:
- Nvidia refers to the drivers for their 3D cards as ForceWare (formerly Detonator)
- Download the Nvidia drivers here
- On the page linked above, select "Graphics Driver," then GeForce and TNT2 group of products, and finally your operating system. Click "Go!" button.
Intel - Intel Express, 8x5, 9x5 series 3D chipsets:
- Intel has a wide range of mobile and desktop graphics controllers.
- Download Intel graphics drivers here
- The page above lists various Intel graphics parts, and it also has a useful guide for identifying your Intel graphics controller if you are unsure of what you need.
Important: Many brand name notebook and desktop computer manufacturers recommend or even require that driver updates be obtained from their official technical support facilities.
Note: various companies seem to prefer different terms for the devices producing 2D and 3D graphics on your screen. For practical purposes, the terms graphics card, video card, graphics chipset, graphics accelerator, graphics controller, or 3D card can be considered equivalent.
9. I have changed the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings in Windows XP, and now the screensaver does not start.
Windows XP with Service Pack 2 added increased security for prevention from certain types of viruses and worms using a specific code/data manipulation technique. The digital rights management system we are using for digital distribution of OceanDive relies on a similar technique, and switching DEP on will disable it, too. If you have activated DEP, you can create an exception in its rule-set for any applications not compatible with the DEP setting. This way you will still be protected from unknown threats, but well known safe applications will continue to work.
Click the My Computer icon on your Windows desktop with right mouse button, select Properties command, switch to Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Performance area, and finally switch to Data Execution Prevention tab.
If the "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" option is activated, click the "Add..." button, and select "C:\Program Files\OceanDive\prism3d.exe" in the browse dialog as the executable for which DEP should be specifically turned off. This binary file is a critical component of the 3D engine powering OceanDive. Make sure to remember to reboot after this change if Windows urge you to do so.
10. The screen is too dark, I cannot see all the neat stuff clearly!
If you are unhappy about the level of display brightness, you can change it by pressing F3 and F4 respectively. Press F1 key while the screensaver is running to get additional help.
11. I cannot move! I just purchased OceanDive, but when I try to use the mouse or the arrow keys, the program immediately closes! What am I missing?
OceanDive has two usage modes - one is the pure screensaver mode (when it is activated on its own, after a period of user inactivity as set up in Windows Display Properties - Screen Saver dialog window), and the other is normal application use mode.
When the screensaver mode starts on its own, OceanDive behaves properly just like any screensaver is supposed to - any user activity with the mouse or keyboard immediately terminates the screensaver, as it is expected that the user wants to get back to work. So in order to enjoy the exploration mode and to launch it in the normal application mode, you need to start OceanDive screensaver manually - either by using the OceanDive icon that is put on the desktop during installation, or you can go to the "Start" button menu in Windows, continue to "Programs" and "OceanDive" group, and use the "Start OceanDive" command there. With OceanDive running as a normal application, you can use the keyboard commands (F1 for help, space and Enter key for switching cameras and for toggling the free movement mode versus scripted camera movement) as well as mouse control over the movement in the exploration mode.
So just be sure to press Enter key to switch OceanDive into the exploration game mode first before attempting to move around. (On some keyboards it's called Return key). Once you press Enter key, you should be able to use any of the navigation keys described in the built-in help (display it by pressing F1 key), or to rotate the view by moving the mouse and pressing the left mouse button to swim forward.
12. The program is running very slowly, how do I speed it up?
OceanDive is using very advanced graphics effects, and it can give even the best cards on the market a run for the money. It is actually designed to be a showcase for high performance 3D cards. Many computer manufacturers still use cards like GeForce FX 5200 series - cards with good features on the paper, but not really very fast. The general hints to get better frame rate are as follows:
- Lower the screen resolution that the screensaver uses. Click on OceanDive's icon on the desktop. A window will appear with various configuration options. Switch to Advanced tab where these settings can be changed, and next to Resolution is a drop-down box listing current screen resolution used by OceanDive. Try selecting any of the lower resolutions and see whether speed is improved. Of course, the image will be a bit more pixelated, but it should not be very noticeable, while the improvement in speed should definitely be worth it.
- Also on the Advanced tab of OceanDive's Launcher Application window, there is a drop down box named Shader Quality. Try selecting a different choice than the one currently selected. You may lose a few bells & whistles with lowered quality rendering, but you should achieve significant speed-up.
13. I get a message saying: We are sorry, but the operating system failed to provide the window to render game graphics in. OceanDive immediately crashes with a Prism3D error.
There are several possible causes for this to happen. In most cases, the critical element of resolving the problem is upgrading video card drivers.
- First of all, make sure to download the latest version of OceanDive, version 1.4.
- Reportedly, some computer vendors ship new machines with the system preconfigured, but without proper drivers for the particular brand of 3D accelerator card installed, including OpenGL support. Make sure to always have proper up to date 3D card drivers installed.
- Upgrades of certain Windows components (upgrade of DirectX, a Service Pack application) may require driver reinstallation afterwards.
- You may have your desktop color depth (Color quality) in Windows set to 256 colors. Make sure you have Windows running in 16-bit or 32-bit color depth.
- You may be using a very old computer with hardware capabilities below minimum specifications required to run OceanDive.
14. I tried to put OceanDive on my computer but had to abort the installation. Now I get an annoying pop-up message box saying: Corrupted installation. Please re-install the application or consult the support section of our website. Error was (Failed to read keys from registry). How do I get rid of the error?
When you abort the installation, or when you do not uninstall the screensaver properly (it is always a bad idea to just delete the application folder manually), a file may be left behind in the system. Try to see whether the file OceanDive.scr was not left in Windows/System32 folder.
If it is the case, simply delete the file and you should no longer see the error message. This file is a launch pad for the screensaver to be started by Windows (by design, every screensaver has to have some kind of a hook in the Windows system folders).
15. When I exit the screensaver, some of my other programs are also closed! Sometimes, I even get Windows shut down dialog!
This is a nasty side effect of a bug in Microsoft Wireless Mouse driver (IntelliPoint 5.2). This issue is not limited only to OceanDive, it was reported to be happening with many other screensavers as well, see for instance here or here. With this "crazy mouse" bug, when a screen saver is closed, the mouse driver may also send notification message to any other open programs to close.
We strongly advise you to update your Intellipoint mouse drivers to 5.3 or latter, as also nicely described on this page.
16. I am not able to find out all the secret locations, but I want to see all that OceanDive has to offer. Can I unlock all the hidden scenes any other way?
Yes, you can enable all the hidden scenes with a single mouse-click. Simply press F1 to access the help screen, and click the button "Set all areas as explored" - from then now, all the scenes available will be cycled through in screen saver mode.
To get the challenge back again later, you can always click the button "Set all areas as unexplored". This will return the "coins" back into the world so you can hunt for them again.
17. How can I set up the screensaver to run on dual monitor system?
OceanDive does not officially offer support for multi-monitor setup on every dual-monitor capable video card. However, it is technically capable of running on a dual monitor setup, but only on video cards with drivers providing appropriate support.
For instance, on recent nVidia GeForce series cards. GeForce cards drivers offer what they call horizontal span support. Normally, most dual-monitor setups are using built-in Windows functionality - activated by clicking the checkbox Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor in Display Properties/Settings dialog. With Nvidia drivers, you can get alternate (some would consider it better) multi-monitor support by instead clicking the Advanced button on this dialog page, and then picking the Horizontal Span choice among the several variants offered by the drivers.
As of now, relying on graphics card manufacturer display manager is the only way to get multi-monitor support in OceanDive. It should work both for nVidia and ATI, but most likely not on any other 3D chipset. There is a price to pay for using the horizontal span setting though - Windows regards the whole dual screen area as truly one wide screen, so most other applications maximize over both monitors etc. It's certainly not for everyone, it's only useful if it fits your usage patterns with other applications.
We may look into supporting this feature officially (and make it accessible from the configuration dialog) in a future version of OceanDive, based on customer feedback, but we cannot guarantee any dates for its inclusion into the screensaver.
18. How do I password protect the screensaver so that a login screen is displayed after exiting OceanDive?
Setting up password protection will help in keeping unauthorized users off of your computer.
This procedure applies to Windows XP - however the Windows 2000 procedure is very similar:
Right click on the Windows desktop. A drop down menu will appear, select Properties. The display properties dialog will pop up. Click on the Screen Saver tab. Make sure that OceanDive is selected in the drop down list list for Screen saver. You can click the the up and down arrows on the Wait box to set the time to lapse before the screensaver is started. Check the box next to On resume, password protect. Now when the screensaver is running and you either move your mouse or press any key (with the exception of the few keys used to control OceanDive), the Windows login screen will appear instead of taking you directly back to Windows.
Important note: There is a subtle difference between OceanDive running in a true screensaver mode (as activated by Windows automatically after a period of user inactivity) and OceanDive launched by the icon placed on the desktop. The icon on the desktop starts OceanDive as a normal application (so that, typically, the user can enjoy the exploration game mode without accidentally closing the program by moving the mouse). When you want to manually launch OceanDive in true screensaver mode for security reasons, you should use the command OceanDive Screensaver from the OceanDive's group in Windows Start menu. For convenience, you can drag & drop this command icon from the Start menu onto your desktop.
19. I am a writer for magazine XYZ, and I would like to write a review of OceanDive. Are there evaluation copies available?
We'll be happy to provide you with an evaluation copy of our screen saver.
Please visit the Press Resources page.
20. How do I request a refund?
If for some reason you are not satisfied, you can take advantage of a limited time money back guarantee.
PURCHASED THROUGH FASTSPRING:
Please get in touch with us at
PURCHASED THROUGH TRYMEDIA:
Please click the link below for instructions on how to request a refund: Request TryMedia refund
21. I am trying to purchase OceanDive, but it fails for some reason. What should I do?
Get in touch with us!